Monday, July 9, 2007

Please keep your hands and feet inside the ride until it has come to a complete stop

The house may not be ours after all. It all seems impossible, this little housing saga of ours, as though I'm intentionally creating drama to pass the time until we go to Ethiopia. And while the time is flying, it's not worth it. I have a stress-induced zit under my chin that is so large, it's like I grew a double chin over night. Which I guess would make it a triple-chin, since all of the stress eating has earned me a few extra pounds as well. Don't I sound pretty?

What happened to the house, you may be asking yourself at the moment? It was built in 1971, as I mentioned before. Charming, yes, but it also turns out that for a brief period in our nation's history, as we were stockpiling copper to use in our war against the Viet Cong, home builders started using aluminum wiring which, as it turns out, was a bad decision. For reasons with which I am now all too familiar and uninterested in boring you, gentle reader, aluminum wiring is a fire hazard. Unless, that is, you do a kind of repair called COPALUM. No one in Minnesota is certified to make the COPALUM repair. Not only that, but more importantly, we're having a devil of a time finding an insurance company that will underwrite a home with aluminum wiring, even if you have the government approved repair done. I suppose I may be able to fight this, as there is plenty of research to support the safety of the COPALUM repair, but how much do I want to fight for this home?! I'm adopting a baby, I'm traveling to Ethiopia, I am highly sensitive to stress. At some point, it may make more sense to just walk away. Anyone who knew me during the breastfeeding saga knows that I'm not very good at knowing when to walk away. THose same people, however, also know that I'm pretty good at figuring out how to get my way in the end. So we'll see.

Well, happy Monday, everyone. I'm going to see if I can do something about that goiter on my neck.

No comments: