Saturday, February 9, 2008

The First Annual Bly Family Vacation

I know, I know, you might be asking yourself why I'm calling it our first family vacation since last year Paul, Eliana and I went on a cruise. But now we're a complete family, and so this is the first offical family vacation as I see it. We went to Cancun. If you just rolled your eyes, groaned, or thought to yourself, "Gosh, I didn't picture Terri as a Cancun kind of person," well, you're right. I hate Cancun quite honestly. It's dirty, crowded and hell-bent on setting the feminist and environmental movements back 50 years. However, it's also easy to get to, NWA flies direct from Mpls to Cancun, and where else can you find a Chile's on the beach? When you have two small children, sometimes you have to make compromises, and I felt better knowing we would find food our kids would eat, clean(ish) water, and low crime.


We rented a 3 bedroom, 4 bathroom condo on the beach. That, I have to say, was the best vacation-related decision I have maybe ever made. It was fantastic, and so great to have enough space for the girls to run around when we were inside, and a large patio to dry our suits and a full kitchen for preparing meals. I will attach pictures so I don't have to spend too much time describing the place. But if you're interested in learning more about the condo, you can find it at sunsetbeachhouse.com, and go to the link for the condo in Cancun. The owner has two other homes, one in Puerto Vallarta and the other in Hawaii.



Aside from the Hooters, the garbage, and the commercialization, we had a fine time. I wouldn't call it relaxing, since I'm not sure relaxing and children ever go in the same sentence (or blog entry), but it had some very fun moments.


Eliana is a total fish (see pic). She probably spent close to 4-5 hours in the water every day. When she wasn't swimming, she was playing computer games. I will not be posting a pic of that, as it is just not that interesting to look at, and a little embarrassing as a parent to admit I allow my 4-year-old to play computer games at length. Still, she was a blast to take on vacation. She was last year, too. I think it's pretty clear Eliana isn't hyperactive and in need of medication - she just likes to be really active. She was so happy the whole week, so well-behaved, and just delightful.


I wish I could say Meron was as much fun. I don't know if it was being out of her routine that threw her off, or being in a new place, or the two molars she pushed through the week we were there, but man was she off her game. She was highly suspicious of the ocean until the very last day. The pool she loved, as I imagine for her it just seemed like the biggest tubby in the universe. When she wasn't in the pool, though, she was usually in some stage of grumpiness (see pic from our last night at Chile's). She was particularly difficult when we'd go out for dinner and I have no idea what that was about.



My mom came with us. That was a bit of a godsend, as it gave Paul and I one night to go out and have some time to ourselves. We don't do a very good job of making sure we have dates anymore. It was nice to have that time and I think we need to do more of that in the future. Even though there were some difficult moments, overall it was a nice week, and I would absolutely go back there again with the kids - but only if my mom, or perhaps a nanny, came with us! Here are a few more pics of us enjoying the sun, the sand, and the water.



2 comments:

Luis Arriola said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luis Arriola said...

Congrats on having a great vacation with your family! Here i some info on condos for rent in Cancun for anyone interested.